Steve Yang is the Director of Operations for Georgetown Women's Basketball and the Vice President of the Asian Coaches Association
1.Why did you get into coaching?
I got into coaching because I love the game, the opportunity to lead & impact lives.
2. How many years have you been coaching?
3. Who has been your biggest influence in coaching and why?
My biggest influence in coaching is Steve Jenkins. Coach Jenkins is the Head Men's Basketball Coach at Evangel University. He is the most honest, humble, and holy role model anyone could ask for. He cares for me as a person and has a big heart for others.
4. What do you enjoy most about coaching and why?
What I enjoy most about coaching are the life lessons that can be taught and learned through the game. Also the privilege to impact others and make life-long relationships worldwide.
5. What has been one of the greatest lessons you have learned about life through coaching? Please explain.
One of the greatest lessons is that you cannot always take things personal. There have been numerous of times that I was passed over for jobs but do not hold that against anyone. Everyone is writing their own story and you can't get caught up comparing your journey to others.
6. What is your ultimate goal in coaching?
To continue coaching until I retire.
7. What has been your greatest lesson as a coach during the pandemic?
The greatest lesson during the pandemic would be to continue to love one another. To spread more love and be grateful for everything.
8. What has been one of the toughest lessons you have learned through coaching. Please explain.
The toughest lesson I have learned through coaching is that some people do not have the same motive/drive as you do. Your willingness to be great in all aspects may not align with others.
9. As a minority coach, what do you feel has been the biggest challenge for minority coaches in the profession?
The biggest challenge for minority coaches is the lack of opportunities.
10. Tell us something about yourself that people would be surprised to know about you.
Something people would be surprised to know about me is that I used to breakdance.